05 December, 2008

Public Speaking : THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE

Good tips coz I always have problems with my clip mike - Azmi Shahrin


Friday, December 05, 2008

http://greatpublicspeaking.blogspot.com/


I'm certainly no clothes horse. When people look at me they certainly don't say, "Wow! What a snappy dresser." I do happen to know a little bit about speaker clothing that polished pro speakers need to know about.

I'm talking about the dreaded MICROPHONE BULGE. Unless you use a handheld microphone, or a wired clip on microphone (which causes you to trip over the wire all day) in one way or the other you have to deal with a wireless transmitter bulge in your clothing.

This needs to be addressed when you are purchasing the clothing you plan on wearing when you speak.

LADIES
Where is the transmitter pack going to be attached? If you have no pockets and no belt, the sound person will have to glue the darn thing on you (not really) but in many cases that would be the easiest route.

If you are wearing a form fitting jacket, then clipping the transmitter to your skirt will cause a bulge in the back and an unsightly pull in the front.

Plan for the transmitter pack when you purchase your clothing. Take one with you to the store or simulate having one by putting one or more compact cases together and slipping in the back of your skirt. If you're new outfit fits with those in there, the nit will fit nicely with a real transmitter.

You can also wear a jacket or top with a tie / best around it which gives the transmitter a handy place to hang.

MEN
Big guys like me that wear fairly loose jackets don't have to worry about this too much. If you are built such that you can wear form fitting tightly cut jackets, then you are in the same boat as the ladies above. You must plan for the transmitter when you purchase your clothing. When I've had suits custom made, I actually had the tailor put in a special pocket for the transmitter and I also had him make several loops up the inside of the jacket to keep the wire to the microphone from hanging out the front of my coat.

Sometimes I put the transmitter right in my pants pocket. That way there is no way it will fall off or come unclipped even if I get a little boisterous on stage . . . which I do.

--
Azmi Shahrin
012-9198557

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn and improve your
Presentation Skills at
ProSkills Trainers -
www.ProSkillsTrainers.com

Check out my Collection of
the Greatest Speeches ever -
www.PublicSpeakingMagic.blogspot.com

Never mind the posturing and just look if
our Malaysian leaders inspire you
with their rhetorics -
www.MalaysianRhetoric.blogspot.com

Jadilah ahli Kelab Pidato Perdana
dan pelajari kaedah berpidato -
www.PidatoPerdana.com

Lawat blog Kelab Pidato Perdana untuk
membaca laporan aktiviti terkini kami -
www.PidatoPerdana.blogspot.com

Come and join Extol Toastmasters which
is probably the coziest Toastmasters
Club in USJ, Subang Jaya & Sunway -
www.toastmasters.wikia.com/wiki/Extol_Toastmasters_Club

Read about activities from Toastmasters
Clubs in KL, PJ and the rest of the world
in www.ToastmastersNewz.blogspot.com

Visit the Division W Blog at
www.divw.blogspot.com
& see what we did in the 2007/2008 term

Other places where I belong :)
facebook - www.facebook.com/people/Azmi_Shahrin/561612498
multiply - www.xfactor21a.multiply.com
YouTube - www.youtube.com/xfactor21a
Picasa Photo Album -
www.picasaweb.google.co.uk/AzmiShahrin
www.picasaweb.google.co.uk/AzmiShahrin1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pleаѕe let me knoω іf you're looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really good posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd love tо
write some material foг youг blog іn exchange fοr a link back to mine.
Please send me an e-mail if іnterested.
Regards!

Vіsit my site - http://arborlandschool.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/the-importance-of-the-three-year-cycle

Anonymous said...

Ηey! Quіck questiоn that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I'm
tгying to fіnԁ а theme or plugin that mіght be аblе to correct this issue.
Іf yоu have any гесommendations, plеase shаre.
Wіth thankѕ!

Feel free to vіsit my web sіte; Thedeal.my

News From ProSkills Trainers